A Hamptons' Tradition
The Old Stone Boys Club was founded by a group of gentleman racers as a refuge for petrol heads on the East End of Long Island. Calling Bridgehampton raceway their home for many years, and originally meeting every Sunday morning on Old Stone Highway, the Old Stone Boys Club has finally found a home to continue the tradition of gentlemanly motorsports enthusiasts.
Bridgehampton Will Never Die!
Bridgehampton Race Circuit was a 2.85 mile, 13 turn road course located near Sag Harbor, on Long Island in New York State. The historic track has now largely been converted to golf course.
"All who have raced Bridgehampton know that the earth is flat and ends in the sand at turn two. The emotional rewards of driving this turn 'flat out' are just as intense as the physical consequences of blowing it."
- Bruce MacInnes, Chief Instructor, Skip Barber Racing School
Public roads in the Bridgehampton area were used for races from 1915 to 1921 and then again in 1949 to 1953. After the tragic accident at Watkins Glen in the 1952 Watkins Glen Grand Prix, racing on state maintained roadways in New York came to an end. The Town of Bridgehampton began searching for a new site, and located a parcel near Sag Harbor.
The first race on Bridgehampton Race Circuit occured on September 28th, 1957, the same year as the first race at Lime Rock and one year after the third Watkins Glen circuit came into use. The facility was intentionally somewhat primitive, and development had been limited by the hostility of locals who bought nearby housing on the assurance that the race track "would be going out of business soon anyway".
In 1981, the track was near bankruptcy. A group named the "Friends of Bridgehampton" was formed. The track did not operate from 1984 to 1986, reopening after a new owner took over in 1987. The owner opted to not spend on development as much as was hoped, in part due to continuing hostility from the surrounding community. Operating hours and permitted sound levels were severely limited, which combined with the distance to the circuit for most racers, caused continuing low turnouts. The last race at Bridgehampton was 1997, although there was sporadic use for driving schools for a short time thereafter. The facility is now mostly golf courses, although some of the original pavement still appears in aerial photography (the latter half of the main straight and the first several corners, at least.)
The Club House
With the closing of Bridgehampton Race Circuits offices on Millstone Road in the late 1980s, the Old Stone Boys Club has been in hiding. Meeting regularly at coffee shops, restaurants and other clandestine meeting places without a place to call their own.
In late 2009, Old Stone Boys Club and Lemans History Chairman Anthony Niosi partnered with fellow club members Carlos Casabal (Track Instructor and Argentine Liason), Robert Schmitter (der Porsche Meister Techwünderkind) and Emil Rensing to create the Old Stone Boys Club House
from a vacant showroom next to the Shell Station on Montauk Highway.